Well, after all the presents had ben unwrapped, the food demolished, a movie watched and the kids fed we decided to head off to bed. Oh, but don't think we went to sleep. We are notorious for lounging in bed watching t.v., eating snacks (gasp!) and cuddling before lights out. This year, on this lovely Christmas night we decided to talk about our favorite things about Christmas (read: enjoy being newlyweds on our first Christmas together. wink wink.).
As it was getting late and time to turn in for the night I went to blow out the candle. Said candle was sitting up high on our dresser and since I am short, I picked it up to blow it out. Apparently, I am not the most stable handed person (thank God I'm no surgeon) and instead of blowing out the candle, I spilledl hot wax ALL OVER me, the dresser, the carpet and down John's bare chest (luckily he had pants on!). How I did that I'll never know. Do you know how hard it is to get wax out of chest hair!?!? We found out. Very hard, with lots of hair pulling.
Crap. Crap. Crap.
How the heck am I going to get my nightshirt clean?
can you see the wax?
Enter google. God love google search.
In order to get melted wax out of clothes (or linens, tablecloths, napkins etc) this method works. Like really works.
Iron, Ironing board, paper bag (cut in 2 pieces), items(s) with Wax
First of all, let the wax DRY.
Then lay your garment on the ironing board so the wax is face up. Let your iron come up to med/high heat. Taking your paper bag, lay one piece under the garment and one piece on top, being sure to cover the wax. Iron as usual over the bag and the wax will absorb into the paper.
See? It's working!
I was skeptical about this when I first read it. But I wasn't willing to let go of my favorite nightshirt. So I figured, why not. I'll give it a try. And sure enough, it worked like a charm! I threw it in the wash and viola! You'd never know that sticky, gooey waxy mess was ever there.
So after a laugh at ourselves, we were able to put it all behind us. Needless to say, I've been taken off candle duty at our house. :)